Vegan Parmesan and Broccoli Tart
When Violife asked me if I would like to review the newest addition to their range, of course, I jumped at the chance. Violife Prosociano is an amazing parmesan alternative which made this recipe and absolute dream to make.
This tart will be unlike any you have tasted. That’s my true opinion anyway ! Amazing flavours, incredible textures and if you can tell the difference from a non vegan cheese tart, I’d be surprised. Actually, you possible can, because it tastes even better.
|45 Minutes||Serves 4||? kcal per serving
1 batch Shortcrust pastry, enough to line a quiche dish. Can be home made but I used Jus-Rol Shortcrust Pastry Sheets
300 g ( 10 oz ) broccoli, chopped into florets
2 teaspoon groundnut oil
1 tablespoon vegan margarine, I use Vitalite
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 medium leeks, washed and finely sliced
For the quiche mixture
1 cup ( 105 g ) chickpea flour
2.5 cups ( 600 ml ) water
1 vegetable stock cube ( A cube that makes 500 ml stock ~ I use Kallo Organic Stock Cubes )
150 g Violife Prosociano, grated
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius ( 400 F ) Gas Mark 6.
1. Begin by steaming the broccoli for around 15 minutes until firm but not too soft.
2. Whilst the broccoli is steaming, add the oil and margarine to a frying pan and fry the leeks, with the salt, for 12-15 minutes until softened.
Put to one side with the steamed broccoli, once steamed.
3. Line an oiled quiche dish with the pastry, prick the bottom with a fork and bake blind for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and put to one side as you prepare the filling.
Now prepare the quiche filling.
4. In a bowl add the chickpea flour and one of the cups of water. Whisk this together well and put this to one side.
5. In a wide bottomed saucepan, add the final 1.5 cups of water and the stock cube and bring to the boil.
6. When the water comes to the boil, slowly pour in the chickpea mixture and stir continuously. Once all the mixture has been combined, lower the heat and continue to stir continuously for 2-3 minutes until the mixture becomes quite thick and glossy.
7. Add in the broccoli, leeks, Violife and black pepper. This will be a very solid mixture.
8. Pour into the prepared pastry case, levelling with a spatula.
9. Put into the oven for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and brush the top with some melted vegan margarine and place back into the oven for a further 5 minutes.
10. Remove and allow to cool completely before serving. Can be served warm or cold. If you are serving warm, then allow to cool and reheat in the oven for 5 minutes.
Check out the Violife website for details of your nearest stockist of Violife Prosociano
This tart can be frozen. Defrost completely before reheating in a medium oven for 5-10 minutes.