Quinoa and Kale Cakes
These quinoa and kale cakes are a little taste of heaven. The quinoa gives these cakes a wonderful texture and the flavours are fantastic. These make a wonderful lunch dish when served with salad or can be served with steamed vegetables for a more substantial meal. However you choose to serve them you will not be disappointed.
|25 Minutes||Makes 4||? kcal per serving
1 medium onion ( 160 g ), finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large potato ( 230 g ), steamed and mashed
100 g kale, steamed and chopped
170 g ( 1 cup ) quinoa
500 ml ( 1 pint ) vegetable stock – I used kallo organic stock cubes
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 teaspoon cumin seeds, roasted and ground
A little flour for dusting
2 tablespoons oil for frying, per batch of 3
1. Prepare the quinoa by putting into a pan with the stock and bringing to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes. Take off of the heat and cover with a lid allowing for the quinoa to soak up the rest of the liquid and become fluffy. If there is still a little liquid left, place on a low heat and cook until the liquid has evaporated.
Leave to one side.
2. Fry the onions and garlic, with a pinch of salt, over a medium heat until the onions have softened and caramelised.
3. Put the onions into a bowl with the quinoa and all other ingredients and using your hands mash everything together well.
4. Form into 6 equal size cakes and press the cakes into the flour, shaking off any excess.
5. Fry in 2 batches of 3 cakes for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown. The cakes will soak up the oil so be sure not to use more than 2 tablespoons of oil per batch.
Fry in 2 batches of 3 cakes for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown.
The cakes will soak up the oil so be sure not to use more than 2 tablespoons of oil per batch.
These can be frozen before cooking.