Creamy “Cheezy” Pasta with Red Peppers, Mushrooms and Walnuts
This recipe uses Violife “creamy” , a fantastic non-dairy cheese alternative and part of the violife range. This is amazing when used to create creamy cheese style sauces and works brilliantly in this pasta dish. Sweet red peppers, earthy mushrooms and crunchy walnuts smothered in a creamy sauce and mixed with pasta for the ultimate pasta experience. You won’t be disappointed. This is heavenly.
|20 Minutes||Serves 2-3||? kcal per serving
160 g ( 6 oz ) dried or fresh pasta, I used dried Fiorelli Italian pasta
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium red onion, slices
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or minced
300 ml ( 10 fl oz ) water
1 large red pepper, sliced
200 g ( 7 oz ) mushrooms, sliced
1 handful fresh basil, chopped
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 tub ( 100 g ) Violife “creamy” non-dairy cheese
50 g ( 2 oz ) walnuts, chopped
1. Start cooking the pasta as for the instructions on the packet of the pasta you are using. Be sure to keep the pasta Al-dente for this dish, as you do not want the pasta to be too soft.
2. Next, in a frying pan and over a medium heat, heat the oil and add the onion, garlic and pinch of salt. Cook for 4-5 minutes allowing the onions to slightly caramelise and then add the water. Continue cooking, allowing the water to steam the onions for a further 2 minutes.
3. Next add the peppers and mushrooms and continue to cook for another 4-5 minutes, until all the vegetables are softened and cooked through. If the mixture becomes dry at any point, just add a splash of water.
The pasta should be cooked and can now be drained but be sure to save 4 tablespoons of the pasta cooking liquid.
4. When drained, place the pasta back into the pan, pour in the vegetables, add the sea salt, pepper, basil, violife creamy, and the 4 tablespoons of reserved pasta water.
5. Continue to cook this over a medium to low heat until the violife has melted and the sauce is creamy. Toss in the walnuts and serve with a garnish of some extra chopped basil.
Violife is now widely available in the UK and Europe. Visit their site HERE for stockists. If you are unable to find this product, the substitute with a vegan cream chesse alternative of your choice
Experimenting with different types of pasta can give the dish exciting textures.